For those of you who know nothing about Ezzo & Babywise, I would encourage you to check out the links below.
For those of you who are thinking about using the Babywise techniques, I URGE you to do some reading first…Considering that most professionals in the pediatric, breastfeeding and child development communities vehemently oppose Ezzo’s methods, going into this program uneducated on the subject is very unwise.
As you can tell, I do not agree with Ezzo and his techniques. But I also realize that every parent has the right to choose what is best for their children. My main intent with this page and all the information it contains links to, is to educate those who will be educated on the subject. Everyone who already has a strong opinion opposite of mine, feel free to ignore this page & enjoy the rest of the site. You DON’T have to be “AP” to enjoy Fresno Family.
Before going any further, I would like to invite you to read the story of one family’s experience with the Babywise/Preparation for Parenting program…
LINKS TO INFORMATION ON EZZO & BABYWISE
(why this style of parenting can be dangerous)
- Files on the WWW about Gary Ezzo and GFI
- downloadable tri-fold brochure of the article “Intrigued by the Claims of Babywise? Piqued by Preparation for Parenting?” for printing
- Babywise Advice Linked to Dehydration, Failure to Thrive, by Matthew Aney, M.D. (American Academy of Pediatrics article)
- MORE THAN A PARENTING MINISTRY: The Cultic Characteristics of Growing Families International, by Kathleen Terner and Elliot Miller
This article first appeared in the Spring 1998 issue of the Christian Research Journal
- Grace Community Church Explains Why They No Longer Use Any GFI Materials
- Wise advice for babies? Parenting book challenges standard medical practice, by Eric Patterson, Originally appeared in Boulder Weekly , 3/20/97
- Introduction to the Ezzos’ Parenting Curriculum
Excerpted and/or adapted from “Growing Families International: A Theological Critique,” by John F. Kippley, The Couple to Couple League International, Inc.:1998
- Woman to Woman, by Helen E. Aardsma
“Dear sister, I ask you humbly and solemnly, from whom have you been learning the womanly arts? I exhort you, for the sake of your husband and children and for your health and the health of your home, to put male-invented mothering theories and male-dominated mothering materials out of your home and out of your life…”
- Unprepared to Teach Parenting?
Two churches long associated with Babywise author Gary Ezzo denounce his character and fitness for Christian ministry. Christianity Today, November 13, 2000
- High noon for nurturers
Penelope Leach faces off with the Ezzos in a nasty turf war. Someone needs a spanking.
- Getting wise to “Babywise”
DO PARENTS WHO BUY THE CONTROVERSIAL BABY-CARE BOOK KNOW ABOUT ITS CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN AGENDA?
BY KATIE ALLISON GRANJU
- Warning: Babywise Isn’t, by Annie Chickering